The International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID) was established on 24 June, 1950 as a Scientific, Technical and Voluntary Not-for-profit Non-Governmental International Organization (NGO) with headquarters in New Delhi, India.
The Commission is dedicated to enhancing the worldwide supply of food and fibre for all people by improving water and land management and the productivity of irrigated and drained lands through appropriate management of water, environment and application of irrigation, drainage and flood management techniques.
The activities of the Commission are pursued in accordance with the ICID Constitution and By-Laws. Latest version of these was adopted in 1996. English and French are the official languages of the Commission.
ICID.UK is the British section of the International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID). Its headquarters is in London at the Institution of Civil Engineers.
The British section is very active both nationally and internationally.
Nationally there is considerable interest in irrigated agriculture, drainage and flood control and alleviation.
Internationally there is a traditional interest in irrigation and drainage from many UK professionals and consultancy companies working primarily in the developing world and increasingly in eastern Europe and central Asia.
What we do:
- Organise a lively Programme of meetings throughout the year, technical visits and other events in London and the provinces.
- Publish News and Views - a magazine for members which circulates nationally and internationally through the ICID membership.
- Participate in International conferences and working groups on issues affecting world food security.
- Support an internationally renown research publication - Irrigation and Drainage - now published through John Wiley and Sons
- Spring seminar 2013 - Recording of What Colour is Your Water seminar available to view online (26-Feb-13)
- 2013 Gerald Lacey Lecture - Early Notice of the next Gerald Lacey Memorial Lecture on 20 May 2013 (ICE London) (19-Feb-13)
- Autumn 2013 meeting - One-day workshop on Water and the Green Economy, 8 November 2013 (18-Feb-13)